10 February 2014

Finding joy: 2013 Reading Recap

I cannot agree more! 
[UGH huge blogging delays. Many apologies for my slowness...]

If you've been following along with me recently, you know that I've been reading (and loving!) a ton of books. 92, to be exact -- a record! The achiever in me, though, is a little disappointed. I had, in my dreams (delusions?), hoped to read two books per week. And lest you think it is my goal this year, it is not. I'm actually hoping to read fewer books this year because I have some meaty classics I would like to tackle.

What has worked well where books are concerned as of late? I've gotten picker and picker -- with an exception of my "cheat" books. Damn you, Nicolas Sparks. I am sucked into your spells. At the heart of it, I always believe that reading something is infinitely better than not reading. With that in mind -- if you have resolved to read more this year and would like some more personalized recommendations, please don't hesitate to ask for a smaller set. I read all sorts of things and unless you have a good sense of your preferences, personalized recommendations will leave you feel satisfied instead of disappointed!

I'm also walking the line between physical books -- I still love the feel and smell of book pages! -- and tablet reading. I just got the new Nexus 7 as a Christmas gift from Uncle Larry (love the upgrades every year) and it is slick. The battery life on that device is insane -- it might exceed the 9-10 hours it promises. I find myself holding out less and less for books I really want to read, though I'm not sure I can make the switch completely. Bookstores are too fun to abandon yet!

If you want to see other book blogs from earlier this year, check out my summer favorites or my first half of the year choices (and in case you really want to dig, here's my massive spreadsheet covering the past seven years -- all 493 of them!). Previously I did a massive annual book blog post, but they were too time consuming, so I like the quarterly idea. I'm going to stick with it.

Blah blah blah, you get it already. Onto the books!

Every. Damn. Day.
Fiction

The Dinner (Herman Koch)

The Giver (Lois Lowry)

The Good Luck Girls of Shipwreck Lane (Kelly Harms)

Mansfield Park (Jane Austen)

Night Over Water (Ken Follet)

The Fault In Our Stars (John Green)

The Orchardist (Amanda Coplin)

One Last Thing Before I Go (Jonathan Tropper)

Seating Arrangements (Maggie Shipstead)
Too many books..

Non-Fiction

Raising My Rainbow (Lori Duron)

Passionate Marriage (David Schnarch)

I Thought It Was Just Me (But It Isn't) (Brene Brown)

The End of Your Life Book Club (Will Schwalbe)

The New Kids (Brooke Hauser)






So -- read on, dear friends. Read on!

xo
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment