![]() |
| Billy Blanks, my frenemy. |
Anyway, tae bo fell out of fashion a bit for things I find far stupider, like Zumba (sorry, it's just NOT a good workout in comparison), but then in Target last year I was on the fitness aisle looking for a yoga block and I found Ultimate Tae Bo, 80 freakin' minutes of tae bo. I think I collapsed about halfway through the first time, but I was hooked and it was a nice compliment to the cardio kickboxing classes at work.
I love cardio kickboxing because it has a bit of rhythm, a bit of strength, and a ton of cardio. I've always had really strong legs, so the kicking bits are always my favorite. The instructor, Katie, is incredibly fun and motivating and she does a great job of including everyone in the class. Sergio is a great sparring partner for me -- he has a lot of martial arts experience and he's a great teacher when it comes to form. Basically, I need to learn to harness my power. I loved it so much that I went out and bought some fantastic pink hand wraps for the partner sparring part of the course, as I was ripping my knuckles to shreds.
I love mastering something new, and I prefer those new somethings are things where I have some natural talent. So the cardio kickboxing love is pretty natural. I still have a lot to learn -- I'm still getting better at some of the speedwork, and my back kick needs some work. There is a nice balance between power and finesse that I'm still learning. It's a fun, intense workout, and now I need to decide if I want to get into regular kickboxing (the kind in a ring). There's a kickboxing gym right down the street from work, and it's something I've considered, but it's really expensive ($100+ a month) for someone who likes to try all sorts of things.
For now, it's sad that I won't be able to make a lot of classes this summer when I'm gone, but when I'm in town and free, I will drag myself back to work -- that's how AMAZING the class is. And I've been eyeing some cute new workout tanks as a reward if I stick with it.
The pushups? I could do without those, though :)
xo
Sarah

No comments:
Post a Comment