04 March 2015

2015: February Reads

Happy March, friends! In Seattle, spring has already sprung and the bushes and trees are in bloom. It makes me want to get off the couch and get out into the world -- just spread a blanket on the grass and kick off my shoes and recline in the sun with a book (with my sun hat and SPF 50, don't worry!). It makes me want to read lighter spring books too -- but before we get there, I wanted to give you the low-down on some February reads.

Here's the thing -- as time goes on, I'm getting a bit pickier. I didn't get through as many books this month because there were so many fits and starts. I also dug into a few thicker books (literally and figuratively), one of which (& Sons) that I'll be raving about in my new book blog post. 

And -- as you might have heard -- we're moving! I'm on a major throw-away binge and part of that is slimming down our book collection. So I'm re-reading books that might not make the cut to decide if they deserve a place in the moving box. The two rereads of this month made it into their respective boxes, but not into the blog. Better luck next time, rereads.

So, with no further ado...

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (Junot Diaz): When S and I started dating, I became much more curious about Latin culture -- the food, the music, and, of course, the stories. I read Diaz's other famous book, This Is How You Lose Her (and reviewed it last month) and loved this one just as much. Let me start with this, though -- it's gritty and raw and rough. The story is about Oscar, an overweight Dominican teenager whose dream is to be a fantastic writer. But get this -- the characters are somewhat shared between Diaz's stories. It feels like you are just a visitor in a separate world and you never know who will show up.

One last note -- if you want to explore Diaz's work, start with this book and don't make the same mistake I did.


The Uncoupling (Meg Wolitzer): I had a major writer-crush on Meg Wolitzer from the moment I cracked open The Interestings and, several books later, my love for her continues. I managed to snag a secondhand copy of The Uncoupling which was, from what I can tell, the book that launched her into the spotlight. Wolitzer's prose transports you to a New Jersey high school and the interwoven stories of couples -- students, parents and teachers; married couples, new flings, and affairs. Life imitates art when the drama teacher selects a play called Lysistrata. If the story is new to you (it was new to me too), it is a Greek play where women stop having sex with their men to protest a war.

Yes, you already guessed it -- it is a long, cold winter in New Jersey. The men are scratching their heads, trying to make something of the sexual standoff. What Wolizter manages to do with the same words that come off of your tongue and mine continues to astound me and I find myself turning the pages in eager anticipation of the next quip or astute observation. Her writing is both accessible enough to reach a broad audience, but literary enough to make you feel just a bit brighter (not to mention how nice the spines of her books will look on your shelf).

And that's it! It might be hard to believe, but only two strong recommendations for you from the short month of February. Rest assured that it is already a fantastic March! 

xo,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment