27 May 2014

Taking on Proust

It's been a long, slow week. We had a really chill three-day weekend, which was pretty much perfect for me. S did a bunch of house projects, I had a chance to go shopping with a friend, and Astrix enjoyed binge-watching kitty tv (the birdfeeder -- though a bunny made a visit too).

And then I woke up at one in the morning last night horribly sick. Damn you, food poisoning. So I've spent the day in bed and on the couch doing some binge-watching of my own. But after seven hours of movies and television, I felt my brain beginning to rot. It was time to blog.

I'm always looking for something fun and different for my blog and I was inspired today by a long-running Vanity Fair series of articles which poses a set of questions to different celebrities, everyone from Pele to Alan Arkin, that came directly from Proust. As all good journalists are apt to do, the Vanity Fair folks edited the questions a bit, so I dug around and found a more complete list. Come to find out, Proust actually had two different versions. This one seemed like a good set to tackle and my head feels clear enough to give it a try.

Happy in CA
What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Not resisting who I am and forgetting who I am supposed to be. These are moments when I can completely let go and just be who I am. And it's finding more of those moments every day that make me happy. Let's face it -- I'm not the best at slowing down and living in the moment.

What is your greatest fear?
Not making the most of what is given to me -- wasting opportunities, time, money, etc. This saver mentality is useful and also damaging.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself?
Self-hatred and driving to perfection, no matter the cost. My drive has gotten me where I am, for good and for bad.

What is the trait you most deplore in others?
Ignorance and a lack of curiosity to learn. Without learning, it's easy to judge and then to let that develop to hatred.

Which living person do you most admire?
I admire so many different people for different reasons.

What is your greatest extravagance?
I don't see myself as a very extravagant person in general. The most valuable thing to me is time, so I'd guess my greatest extravagance is my maid service and my yard service. When I signed up for each of them, I felt like a failure -- I was admitting that I couldn't be a career woman with a perfect house and yard without getting some help. It's worth every penny -- many many pennies, but worth it.

What is your current state of mind?
Peaceful and calm, which is a huge relief. I've been battling my health for the last six months and I feel like I'm finally pulling out of it.

What do you consider the most overrated virtue?
Chastity, of course. I'm a Scorpio -- we're lustful.

On what occasion do you lie? 
If something will bring hurt and pain to someone -- with no clear benefit to someone else -- I will protect them with a lie.

What do you most dislike about your appearance? 
I've put on a few pounds lately between not exercising and taking medication that causes weight gain. I'm trying to think about what my body does instead of just what it is, and I have much more appreciation for it these days. The one part that generally drives me nuts is the upper thighs. Since women already have to deal with menstruating and childbirth, I think God wasn't being fair when he gave cellulite to us instead of men.

Which living person do you most despise?
I don't know the exact quote that comes to mind as I read this, so I'll just paraphrase instead of butchering it -- Everyone you meet is fighting their own battle, so be kind. Maybe it's the last six or twelve months, but I don't think I have the energy within myself to spend much time despising. Everyone has dark times and does things they regret -- and I think it's better to forgive and move on. There are certainly people I dislike and don't really want to spend time with, but despise is a strong word for those that annoy and vex you, isn't it?

What is the quality you most like in a man?
Love, kindness, and gentleness. A man who can be himself and be vulnerable.

What is the quality you most like in a woman? 
The same. The most prized qualities in a person exist regardless of gender.

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
According to Sergio, "supposed to."

What or who is the greatest love of your life?
Mi querido, mi Sergio. Remember my answer about love, kindness, and gentleness? He is all man and all of these things. I've never met and loved someone so complex, multifaceted, and who just gets me. I believe in second chances :)

When and where were you happiest?
I have happy moments in the oddest of places. Sometimes they are moments alone (like right now, as the birds are chirping outside the window as I type) and sometimes they are moments with a loved one. There's also something magical about sunsets in foreign lands. It's very Hollywood, but to stand and take in a vista and breath in different-scented air? Those are the times I want to pinch myself.

Which talent would you most like to have? 
I'd love to be able to paint or draw better than I can. I love fiddling around with artsy stuff even though it is not a skill of mine. I only managed to pass art in high school because it was "A for effort" art. I was decent at sculpting, though. My artistic talents have always been musical, so taking a few basic drawing or painting classes would be fun.

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
Flaws and all, I'm loving myself right now. If I to choose... I'd love to have perfect vision. I just can't bring myself to get Lasik. Too freakin' scary. I'll stick to contact lenses.

What do you consider your greatest achievement?
I'm incredibly proud of the career I have built for myself (even though it comes with a big price tag). I have my dream job and I'm only 30 years old. I'm thankful that Google took a chance on a 22-year-old kid, and then has given me incredible opportunities to grow and excel over the last 7.5 years. I try to have a servant's mindset in my work and I have been given a wonderful place to help others.

If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what would it be?
Your worst nightmare. Well -- probably a cat. Astrix has the best life I've seen in some time. I could get used to napping in the sun.

Where would you most like to live? 
Here! No, seriously -- I love Seattle. Sergio and I would like to move closer to work in the next one or two years, and I think we'll have the equity to pull it off. When we have kids, I'd love to live abroad -- either in Sydney or somewhere in Europe.

What is your most treasured possession?
I love ordinary things that remind me of important people. A month or so ago, I went through boxes of old boxes and toys from my childhood -- either things from my grandparents or from our house, and I was filled with such warmth. I also save important letters and cards because kind and thoughtful words stick with me, even as the years roll on.

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery?

Isolation and loneliness.

What is your favorite occupation?
The one I have! I love many different parts of my job, though leadership coaching is my favorite. To have the opportunity to connect with someone and help them change their life? Incredible.

What is your most marked characteristic?
You tell me.

What do you most value in your friends?
Loyalty and laughter. I've been through some tough times in the past few years, and many of my friends just stopped being friends. Those who have stayed are some of the most wonderful people I could hope to know!

Who are your favorite writers?
How long do we have? My favorite classic lit authors are Jane Austen and Edith Wharton. For modern lit, Ian McEwan has long been my favorite. I love Bill Bryson's nonfiction writing, especially his travel writing. I'll stop at four.

Who is your hero of fiction?
I assume this means fictional hero. Did I mention I love Jane Austen?  How can I choose anyone other than Elizabeth Bennett?

What are your favorite names?
I can't tell you because you'll have kids before I will and steal them. Obviously Astrix is the best pet name. She got her name because I love writing and I wanted a fun and quirky punctuation name for her (and it is hard to yell "Apostrophe!" or "Ampersand!" when a cat is climbing your curtains).

What is your greatest regret?
Not following my heart when I should have. The good news? I figured it out. Eventually. I'm a slow learner.

How would you like to die?
In peace. Or in the arms of Benedict Cumberbatch. Whichever is easier.

What is your motto? 
Strive to make someone else's life better every single day.

xo,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment