![]() |
| Madrid: Beautiful, regal |
Back to those romantic notions -- Madrid, unlike Lisbon, lived up to my picture of it. As the cab wound its way to our hotel, I felt like we were in the wide avenues of Paris, framed by beautiful trees and regal buildings. There was a calm energy to the city that I really appreciated. And any city with a featured dessert of churos con chocolate is just fine by me. Never mind that it was dairy-filled. It was incredible.
![]() |
| Sergio's artsy shot in our hotel |
![]() |
| Bus tour photo -- Toledo souvenirs |
We were both feeling a little off in Madrid, so we didn't get around to seeing as much as we would have liked. We had a chance to go and see the Prado, which was incredible. I kept saying, "This reminds me of the Louvre, Sergio -- you just don't know it yet!" (Spoiler: We enjoyed it much better than the Louvre). I had never been exposed to El Greco or El Bosco -- there are so many artists that you don't know about when you grow up in America -- and outside of the art scene. The museum was lovely, and we had a nice rest in their little cafe. We also had a great time at the Palacio Real, the Royal Palace, especially seeing all of the armor and the royal receiving rooms and the art from around the world. Whenever we feel off, we take time to stop and watch a movie -- so we enjoyed fantastic room service and watched The Perks of Being a Wallflower together.
However, the award for favorite Spanish city goes to beautiful Toledo, a short train ride outside of Madrid. The cathedral is one of the largest in Spain and it just took your breath away! We wandered through the cool interior, audioguides awkwardly held against our ears.
![]() |
| Beautiful, charming Toledo! |
My favorite part of the city was simply wandering, whether on foot or on the little touristy train that we took around the outside of the city. We had read about the train in Rick's book, of course, and his tip to sit on the right side of the train was dead-on. The view was much, much better than the other side and I think the people sharing our row were a bit disappointed. It gave us a good perspective of the entire city and made it easier to wander. The street plan was very confusing and I felt that we were constantly consulting our handy street map. We managed to find several small nun-run stores with mazapan, which was a bit of a letdown compared to what I thought it was. I guess it wasn't expecting a "sweet" with so little sugar!
And when you get to go to a touristy city, you also have the chance to observe tourists. I find that the Southern European tourist dress is... different. I could only describe one of the popular styles as "jean underwear." See-through tops were also popular, especially halter tops. Here I was, worrying that I wouldn't be let into the cathedral because my skirt only came to my knees. I think my worry was a bit misplaced.
![]() |
| Toledo! |
![]() |
| Beautiful jumble of streets in Toledo |
Back in Madrid, we did a bit more sightseeing the following day and enjoyed our first attempt at foreign laundry in a stuffy little laundromat, though we were able to find some amazing tacos for dinner while we waited. We did a bus tour on our last night as the sun started setting, and minus the obnoxious Italians seated in front of us, it wasn't as bad or as touristy as I had thought. You get a great view of the city, sitting above the traffic, and we had a chance to see all of the monuments that we missed, always a good reminder that we can come back and have a lot we can see. The city was incredibly pumped because the fate of the 2020 Olympics would be decided that evening. Madrid, unfortunately lost, which was somewhat unremarkable -- what I won't forget, however, was the video of the sweet Japanese man sobbing for joy once he learned that Tokyo had won. I can imagine that it was a significant letdown for the Spanish -- there was a constant buzz and "Madrid 2020" signs and banners and t-shirts and flags everywhere.
![]() |
| Enjoying the train ride |
Needless to say it was tough to get a cab and because of the street closures we had to take a long, roundabout trip to the train station. We huffed and puffed and ran and managed to make it to the proper level and track with five minutes to spare. There was nothing to do but relax as the train pulled out of the station and started towards Sevilla!
xo,
Sarah
![]() |
| Painter outside of Toledo |
![]() |
| Mi querido |
![]() |
| Starting our long (thankfully downhill) walk to the train station in Toledo |










No comments:
Post a Comment