08 April 2013

From the road: How to deal with getting sick away from home

Sarah Carr, M.D.

My goal was simple: Don't infect others.  Obsessively, as soon as I realized that I was sick, I started thinking about how I might have been infected.  

But wear a mask in public and people look at you like you have contracted H1N1 or SARS or that you might have been exposed to Anthrax.  When I put the mask on in the airport, you'd think that I was going to drag someone into the bathroom and hack off a limb with a chainsaw.


But it was none of the above.  It made me think a little, though about how hard it is to get sick on the road.  I've been sick on three different continents (I lucked out in Asia, at least) and even caused a plane to make an emergency landing on my way to JFK last year (American Airlines insisted, in my defense).  I've tried to figure out how to get medicine after-hours in Austria and have tried to find decent urgent care in other cities, foreign and domestic.  

So without further ado, here's what to do when you're sick on the road...

1. DON'T GET SICK ON THE ROAD.
Sometimes a good offense is the best defense.  Trust me, when you hit the road tired or stressed or low on sleep, your immune system is somewhat compromised.  While sleep deprivation might be your friend on an overnight flight, it's actually NOT your friend when you're living in an environment of recirculated air.  Do what you can to catch up on sleep and de-stress before traveling.  I know, it sounds easy, right?  But it's not.

2. Know your insurance.
Make sure you familiarize yourself with your health insurance plan and how it applies out-of-network or out-of-country.  Most decent plans have some amount of domestic emergency coverage, but read the fine print on what constitutes an "emergency."  If you are taking a prolonged trip overseas, call your provider to understand if there are supplemental options.  Another choice is to buy travelers' insurance for long foreign trips, something I'm researching for this summer.  I'd write more about this option, but check out what Nomadic Matt has to say on the issue.

3. Pack smart.
It's pretty easy for me to find the medicine I want in Mountain View, CA, but much harder in other countries.  If you're headed somewhere remote or in a country where you don't speak the language, consider taking along some basic supplies.  In addition to any prescription medications you're on (pack 10% extra), consider:

  • Ibuprofen for headaches
  • Imodium AD or Peptop Bismol for all things digestive
  • Sudafed or DayQuil/NyQuil for general cold and flu symptoms
  • Melatonin or other sleep aid (especially for time-zone shifts)
  • Multi-vitamins (which you should be taking anyway)
  • Basic multi-purpose Cortisone-gel 
  • A few bandages
  • Anything else for which you are personally susceptible   For example, if you are sensitive to environmental allergens, make sure to bring Claritin or Zyrtec.
It might sound like a lot, but it's really not.  This fits in a quart size baggie (or smaller) and should be good for a year or two.  It's enough to get you through anything that isn't major, and it will be ready to go!

4. Learn the territory.
Should you get sick, what are your options?  Take 10 minutes to research the area where you will be staying.  Where is the closest hospital?  How do you call for help on a phone?  Where can you get non-urgent care?  This is helpful when you're traveling in the US because with a few minutes research, you can save $$ by finding an in-network provider.  Outside of the country, you have a sense of how long it will take to find emergency care or when pharmacies are generally open (it's not like 24-hour Walgreens, this I can tell you).

5. Hit the needle.
The last bit of prep before you go is to make sure you're up-to-date on your vaccinations.  Actually, it might be the first thing to check, especially if you are headed to rural Asia, Africa, or South America. But for all travelers, it's good to keep up-to-date on your flu shot, as well as the Hep A-B series, MMR, and tetanus.  Most primary care providers can give you any of these shots, and advise you on other things (like malaria pills) if you are headed further afield.

6. Fly smart.
I would wager that most of my germs come from airports or airplanes.  Think about it -- your body is suddenly exposed to a huge diversity of nasty things from a variety of geographies in one place, then locked into a huge incubation chamber for several hours.  Make sure to wash your hands copiously (Happy Birthday song sung twice equals the right amount of time for a good wash) and use hand sanitizer when you cannot.  On the plane, use sanitizing wipes to clean your armrests and tray tables.  Point your air vent about 4-5 inches in front of your face.  

Sitting next to someone who is hacking up a lung?  There really isn't much you can do.  Take some solace in the fact that they might be through the contagious period (which for many illnesses is before most symptoms arrive).  Or use a newspaper or the inflight magazine as a mini-shield.  You could also put on one of the disposable face masks that I'm modeling above as a defensive strategy (they work to protect others and you).

7. Clean your area.
One pack of sanitizing wipes + your hotel room = much better.  Dirtiest places are the remote control and the switches and knobs.  And hotel comforters.  Throw it straight on the floor.  Lastly, never drink from hotel cups without washing them first.  I just bring my own bottle.

8. Watch your plate.
Food safety -- what to make of it?  To be honest, for all the bad press food trucks in other countries get, I've never been that bad off.  I've gotten plenty of food poisoning in the good old US of A, though, and generally because I haven't paid attention.  There are plenty of other people with more detailed advice, though I love this short maxim: "Cook it, wash it, peel it or forget it."

9. Everything is better with fluids and rest.
I can't think of any illness I've had that didn't involve rest and lots of fluids.  If you feel something coming on, add an hour or two of sleep to your day (an hour-long nap plus bed an hour early) and before long, you might be well again.  Keep hitting the (water) bottle to give your body a fighting chance.

10. If you get sick, don't share it.
You know how awful you feel right now?  Well, don't share that with anyone else!  Be a courteous traveler and stick to your hotel room.  If you have a travel companion(s), let him or her run to the store for you or bring you something to eat.  Do what you can to isolate yourself, especially near the beginning when you are most contagious.  If you must go out or especially if you must travel, wear a mask if you can find one, keep washing your hands, and never cough into the air.  Everyone else thanks you, me especially.

11. But, if all else fails, you can always come home.
There is nothing like your own bed and pillow when you're sick.  If, despite your best efforts, you're still sick despite a few days of rest, it might be time to go home.  This is especially the case if getting home is easy.  Some airlines will waive change fees with a doctor's note (I've had this happen twice!), but $100 is  small price to pay for rest and recovery.

And speaking of rest and recovery, it's time for another nap so I can fight off this respiratory virus :)

xo
Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment